[Heritage-tourism-list-l] You're Invited - Texas Tropical Trail Region Partner Event/Business Meeting - December 15 - Kingsville

Lane Hollingsworth info at texastropicaltrail.com
Thu Dec 9 07:47:15 CST 2010

TEXAS TROPICAL TRAIL REGION HERITAGE TOURISM PROGRAM

               December 21, 2010 - Partner Event & Business Meeting – Kingsville, Texas

You are cordially invited to attend Number Sixty-four (64) in a series of monthly Partner Events, including Tours and Educational Presentations, celebrating the heritage of South Texas.  This informative gathering of the Texas Tropical Trail Region Heritage Tourism Program will be held in Kingsville, Kleberg County, Texas on Tuesday, December 21, 2010.  Please take a few minutes to review the event plans below and let me know which Option (look for A, B or C below) interests you.

Texas A&M University-Kingsville, South Texas Archives & John E. Conner Museum

We will begin our day on the campus of Texas A&M University-Kingsville (TAMUK).  We’ll spend the morning there exploring and learning about the Jernigan Library, the South Texas Archives and the John E. Conner Museum.

TAMUK began in 1925 as South Texas Teachers College.  Through preservation of its original buildings, the campus offers a unique blend of architectural ly significant structures and modern classrooms.

The South Texas Archives is a Jernigan Library department located on the third floor of the Jernigan Library.  The Archives were established to preserve and to make available to the public documentary materials about the history and natural history of South Texas.  The collection includes rare books, manuscripts, official archival records of the University, microfilms, photographs and oral history tapes.  The South Texas Archives serves as a regional Historical Resource Depository for the Texas State Library and Archives System and holds records from the eleven surrounding counties.

Although the Archives were not officially created until 1982, the systematic accumulation of historical documents.  was started by Professor John E. Conner when he joined the history department shortly after the creation of the South Texas State Teachers College in 1925.   In 1995 the Archives was merged into the Jernigan Library.

The John E. Conner Museum was named for the first chairman of the history department of South Texas Teachers College (which ultimately became Texas A&M University-Kingsville).  The museum collection started in 1925, soon after the college opened.  People thought that Conner would be interested in preserving historical artifacts and began bringing them to him.

The museum’s collections, in three major divisions – artifacts, archives and natural history – are a record of the pre-history, history and natural history of South Texas.  The artifact collections are related to the history of the ordinary man in South Texas.

A real saint from South Texas?

After lunch, we will visit the only convent in Kingsville/Kleberg County, the Convent of the Missionary Daughters of the Most Pure Virgin Mary, founded in 1916 by the late Mother Julia Navarrete Guerrero.

Mother Julia was born in Oaxaca, Mexico, in 1881 and joined the church at 19.  She left her home at the height of the Mexican Revolution, when in some areas it was forbidden to celebrate Mass.  At the request of her home diocese she came to Texas and started her ministry in a one-room house on Richard Avenue that was purchased from King Ranch founder, Richard King.

Her mission was to educate the children and minister to the adults.  Mother Julia died in 1974 at the age of 93.

In 2004, Pope John Paul II proclaimed Mother Julia venerable, the second of four steps on the way to sainthood.  She was nominated for the honor by her holy order, which is based in Mexico, though much of her work was in Kingsville.

Geo-Caching – a High Tech Scavenger Hunt

After our visit to the Convent, we will meet at the Henrietta Memorial Center/King Ranch Museum.  Before our business meeting and optional museum tour, Toni Nagel, Director of King Ranch Visitor Program Services, and Carol Ann Anderson, Executive Director of the Kingsville Convention and Visitors Bureau, will present a program about Geo-caching, the high tech scavenger hunt that is taking the US by storm.

Educational Program

The day’s educational program will be offered as follows:

Toni Nagel, Director, King Ranch Visitor Program Services, and Carol Ann Anderson, Executive Director of the Kingsville CVB, will present a program on Geo-Caching.

 Our hosts for the day will include Texas A&M University-Kingsville, the Jernigan Library, the South Texas Archives,

John E. Conner Museum and King Ranch Visitor Program Services.

Texas Tropical Trail Region Heritage Tourism Program

The Texas Tropical Trail Region (TTTR) heritage tourism program is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation developed in conjunction with the Texas Historical Commission and organized in February 2005 with an eleven-member volunteer Board of Directors, a salaried Executive Director and over 500 partners in tourism throughout the 20 county South Texas area known as the Texas Tropical Trail Region.  The first public “partner” meeting was held in March 2005 at the La Posada Hotel in Laredo, Texas.

This Region covers over 23,000 square miles and is home to over 1.7 million people.  Four sub-regions or Byways (the Gulf Coast Byway, the Rio Grande Byway, the Wild Horse Desert Byway and the Brush Country Byway) are located within the Region.

Kingsville is the home of the Texas Tropical Trail Regional office located in the Kingsville Chamber of Commerce office building at 635 E. King Avenue, Suite 102.

It is the intent of the Texas Tropical Trail Region Board of Directors to showcase the heritage, natural beauty and diverse culture of South Texas for the benefit and enjoyment of Texans and travelers. To achieve this goal, the Board must first join hands with our tourism partners, community leaders, and state and local entities to identify, preserve and interpret our natural, historical and cultural resources.

These monthly meetings/educational presentations are the workshops to help make this goal a reality.  These meetings are open to the public, and you are urged to encourage folks in your city and county to join us.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE

 The day has been divided into three parts/options with the tours, educational program s and lunch as options.

Option A: beginning at 9:30 am – (The full day) (using your own transportation)

9:30 – 10:00 am – Coffee/welcome  - Jernigan Library (1st floor lobby) on the Texas A&M- Kingsville (TAMUK) campus, located at 1050 University Boulevard (in the circle) –  Dr. Carol Tipton, Library Director

10:00 – 10:30 am – Presentation/Tour – South Texas Archives – 3rd floor Jernigan Library- Sandra Rexroat, Director

10:30 – 10:45 am – Drive to John E. Conner Museum – 905 W. Santa Gertrudis Avenue on TAMUK campus

10:45 – 11:15 am – Presentation/Tour of John E. Conner Museum – Hal Ham, Museum Director

11:15 am – 11:30 am – Drive to Butch’s Restaurant – 200 E. Yoakum Avenue

11:30 – 11:45 am – Welcome, Introductions and Community Updates - Butch’s Restaurant

11:45 am – 12:30 pm – Lunch – Butch’s Restaurant

 Please select from the menu (attached).  Make your lunch selection when you RSVP.

Your cost will be based on your menu selection and will also include tax and gratuity.

Before we leave Butch’s Restaurant, Maggie Salinas of the Kleberg County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce will give a short introduction about our next stop – the tour of the Convent of the Missionary Daughters of the Most Pure Virgin Mary and their candidate for sainthood,  Mother Julia Navarrete Guerrero

Ms. Salinas is a charter member of the Kleberg County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the Chairman of the Historical Development Board of the City of Kingsville.

12:30 – 12:45 pm – Drive to the Convent of the Missionary Daughters of the Most Pure Virgin Mary – located at 408 E. Richard Avenue

12:45 - 1:15 pm – Convent Tour

1:15 – 1:30 pm – Drive to Henrietta Memorial Center/King Ranch Museum – located at 405 N. Sixth Street

1:30 – 2:00 pm – Educational Presentation –Toni Nagel, Director, King Ranch Visitor Program Services, and Carol Ann

Anderson, Executive Director of the Kingsville CVB, will present a program on Geo-caching –

Henrietta Memorial Center /King Ranch Museum – 405 N. Sixth Street

Option - 2:00 pm – Optional “on your own” tour of King Ranch Museum and/or historic downtown Kingsville

2:00 - 3:30 pm - Business Meeting – Henrietta Memorial Center/King Ranch Museum – 405 N. Six Street - Open to the Public

Option B: beginning at 11:30 am   – Lunch, Convent Tour, Educational Presentation, and Business Meeting

11:30 – 11:45 am – Welcome, Introductions and Community Updates - Butch’s Restaurant- 200 E. Yoakum Avenue

[...]

Anderson, Executive Director of the Kingsville CVB, will present a program on Geo-caching – Henrietta Memorial

Center /King Ranch Museum – 405 N. Sixth Street

Option - 2:00 pm – Optional “on your own” tour of King Ranch Museum and/or historic downtown Kingsville

2:00 - 3:30 pm - Business Meeting – Henrietta Memorial Center/King Ranch Museum – 405 N. Six Street - Open to the Public

Option C: beginning at 1:30 pm   – Educational Presentation and Business Meeting

1:30 – 2:00 pm – Educational Presentation –Toni Nagel, Director, King Ranch Visitor Program Services, and Carol Ann

Anderson, Executive Director of the Kingsville CVB, will present a program on Geo-caching –

Henrietta Memorial Center /King Ranch Museum – 405 N. Sixth Street

Option - 2:00 pm – Optional “on your own” tour of King Ranch Museum and/or historic downtown Kingsville

2:00 - 3:30 pm - Business Meeting – Henrietta Memorial Center/King Ranch Museum – 405 N. Six Street - Open to the Public

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

 An RSVP is necessary to let us know which option (A, B or C) you are interested in so that we can be adequately prepared with lunch, seating arrangements and hand-out materials.

Please respond to Nancy Deviney at nancydeviney at yahoo.com as soon as possible but no later than Friday, December 17, 2010.

Directions and maps to the tour sites are available.

We hope you will join us for this educational and informative day in Kingsville.  No fees or membership are required.  There will be a charge, depending upon your selection, for lunch.

Please feel free to share this invitation with your friends and colleagues but remind them that an RSVP is necessary.

Thank you.

Nancy Deviney

Chairman, Board of Directors, Texas Tropical Trail Region (www.texastropicaltrail.com)

Nancy Deviney